Unlacquered S&S hammers: was Re: Tensioned hammers and"the staple"

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 10:51:47 +0200

jolly roger wrote:

> >Wait a second.... Let me see if I understand this right... You bore the
> >holes... then take off some felt.... and then somehow the hole has
> >"moved" down the tails ??
>
> Nah! of coarse not.

Chuckle... rats... thought I was onto something big here... lots of potential
fun in that one....

> >Or are you saying you take off felt first, then bore to the correct
> >distance... that would give shorter tails I suppose... but why do it
> >that way ? I never take of anything from the top of the hammer when
> >filing them down. I just pull off the shoulders makeing more of a
> >pointed crown.
> >

>  The older Steinway hammers were like pillows and heavily cupped, so I pre
> filed them on the bench, and there was not much in the way of tails to play
> with.
> Roger

Seriously tho... I have not run into the problem so this buisness of removing
so much crown felt took me a bit off guard. I suppose I would choose hammers
that didnt require such removal had I run into it. Interesting.