New subject: Steck Small Grand

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:12:29 -0500

Have acquired a 1921 Geo. Steck Baby Grand from a client. Has a very =
sweet sound (except that many of the bass strings are tired--more =
"thunky" than musical).

All this discussion of bolstering hammer knuckles begs the question: Is =
it worth doing on Brambach/Francis Bacon style knuckles, or should I =
follow my original inclination which is to save up the necessary shekels =
to replace the shanks, knuckles and hammers (which are otherwise in =
pretty good shape. Hammers obviously not originals. Ivories obviously =
are and in good shape.

Any experience or thoughts on this piano much appreciated. Market value? =
I paid $800.

By-the-way, stripping the old finish has revealed a very, very dark and =
closely grained wood I've not seen in a piano. Could it be a dark walnut =
or really dark mahogany?

Alan