Una Corda Problem in Seiler Grand

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 11:34:02 -0500

Did you accidentally introduce some lost motion in the linkage? Even a =
little can make the UC inoperable, in my (admittedly limited) =
experience.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 11:41 PM
  Subject: Una Corda Problem in Seiler Grand

  Hi List,=20

  I went out on a warranty job yesterday.  The objectives were to a). =
fix a sticky key and b) tune the piano.  The sticky key was caused by a =
toy model of those wings that commercial pilots wear on their blazers =
getting wedged between C 5 and the action bracket.  No problem.  Remove =
offending wings, put action back in, tune, check pedals.  The una corda =
doesn't work.  Take action out several times trying to figure out why it =
isn't working.  =20

  Looks to me like the shift lever has chafed part of the wood on the =
edge of the keybed slot.  The lever slips right under the action.  =20

  Went out again, tried to shift action a little bit so the lever would =
grab.  I carefully tried to rebed the frame, but it did not help, so I =
put the bed back into its original setting.  45 minutes later, a =
frustrated tech left the house, problem unsolved.=20

  It seems to me that the end of the lever that pushes on the action is =
not quite long enough to do its job.  It's a brand new piano, and it was =
working fine before I removed the action, according to the owner.  Any =
ideas?  Help!!=20

  Dave Stahl, RFT(Real Frustrated Tech)=20