Scaling questions: was Re: US made Yamaha upright

Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:16:40 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 31, 2002 6:51 PM
Subject: Scaling questions: was Re: US made Yamaha upright

> Del:
>
> Does it follow, then, that a heavier soundboard requires a higher tension
> scale?  And then what happens when you put a higher tension scale on a
> lighter soundboard assembly?  In the calculation of the tension of a scale
> is it important to consider the type of soundboard assembly?  I notice in
> perusing Travis that the scale tensions probably vary quite a bit from
piano
> maker to piano maker.  Is that owing to differences in fundamental
> philosophy or soundboard assemblies?  Lastly, in the calculation of
> tensions, is there a trade-off between power and sustain?  Or are they
> unrelated?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know.
>

> David Love

You're asking for a substantial portion of a 6-hour class. But the short
answers are:

1)  In general stiffer/heavier soundboards will have/require a relatively
higher tension scale to give acceptable performance.

2)  Yes, it is important to consider the physical characteristics of the
soundboard when developing a stringing scale.

3)  Yes, string tensions do vary considerably from one maker to the next.
And often within a given manufacturers line. And too often within a given
piano.

4)  Consider that most scales--including many that are still being used
today--were developed imperially or were simply copied from some other
piano. For state-of-the-art scale information shortly after the turn of the
last century, see Wolfenden's book. I doubt that until recently many gave
much direct thought to matching stringing scales to soundboards. Sometimes
the designs worked, sometimes they didn't. When they didn't the makers kept
changing things until they found a balance that did work. We're supposed to
be more enlightened these days.

5)  Yes, there is a trade-off between power and sustain. But it's not always
a direct one. Sometimes tensions can be too high and power will suffer.
Again, it depends on a balance with the soundboard assembly.

Del