Buzz From Bridge

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 11:02:19 -0400

Greetings, Everyone!

How are the bridges attached to the soundboard in a Steinway?  Glue and =
dowels?  Are there any screws carefully hidden from view?

The patient:  A Steinway B, about 30 years old.
The problem:  A buzz -- that nasty wood-on-wood sound similar to the =
loose-rib sound
Found so far:  Light pressure on the bridge over the affected area will =
make it go away.  The affected area is near the treble break, right =
about where the strings to note G6 cross the bridge.  The buzz is =
activated by notes C4 (middle C) and to some degree C3.

(Or am I dealing with a loose rib or a failed glue joint between the rib =
and the board?  I didn't see any cracks in any glue joints around the =
ribs.)

Is there a suitable in-home repair?  My temptation is to install some =
strategically placed screws, but I'm hoping that others on this list =
have better ideas.

Thanks in advance --
Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI