school or home course

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 08:15:23 EDT

In a message dated 01/08/02 10:59:40 PM, Juliaeux@AOL.COM writes:

<< How much can one learn from a home mail order course in piano tuning and
technology? Is attending a school better than a mail order course? ....or
over time would I learn the same things just getting on the job experience?

Julie;
 Without a doubt the quickest and best way to establish a foundation of
knowledge and skills is to attend a school such as North Bennet Street.
However that is not the only viable method.
In my opinion the rankings of options would be:
1. Schooling in residence.
2. Apprenticing with a knowledgable tech/store.
3. Correspondence course.
or some combination of the choices.

 An important thing, no matter the choice you make, is to have someone(or
several someones) whom you can call on for advice/help/encouragement. This
can be through association with a local tech or as a member of the local PTG
chapter.
Good Luck!
Jim Bryant (FL)