Musical Soundwaves

Ron Overs ron@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 01:19:09 +1000

Greetings Terry,

You wrote:

>Why does a flute sound like a flute? Why does an obo sound like an
>obo? Why does a guitar sound like a guitar? And last, but certainly
>not least, why does a piano sound like a piano?
>
>Does anyone have a simplistic explanation for what is the cause of
>unique sounds/tones among various instruments? If you play A4 at a
>pitch of 440 Hz on any instument, you will hear the pitch of 400 Hz.
>But they will all sound different. So I guess they all do something
>different to the soundwave that reaches your ear. What is that
>difference? How does a speaker reproduce these differences of they
>only move in and out?

Basically, all musical instruments will tend to produce tone with the
harmonics or partial series present with the fundamental tone. Even a
flute, which has a more pure tone than many instruments, still has
harmonic content. The volume of the partials relative to that of the
fundamental tone will vary from one type of instrument to another.
Just try the simple test of holding down a piano note to lift the
damper, while playing the notes which most closely match the
frequencies of the harmonic series for the held note, ie, octave,
octave and fifth, double octave, double octave and a third, " and a
fifth, " and a seventh, triple octave. You will notice that some
harmonics induce much more strongly into the held note than others.
This variability will reflect the harmonic content of 'piano' tone.
If it were possible to conduct a similar test with another type of
instrument, you would find that the harmonic content would be
slightly different, according to the tonal characteristics of that
instrument.

The reason why A440 sounds like A440 on a piano, voice and mandolin,
is that our ear locks onto the lowest frequency, the fundamental, to
identify the pitch of the note. So while the tonal characteristics of
the instruments might be very different, an A440 played on each
instrument will still cause our ears to identify the pitch for what
it is. One reason why it is very difficult to discern the pitch of
note A1 on a short piano, is that there is virtually no fundamental
tone present. Furthermore, the harmonic content will have such high
inharmonicity, that a serious pitch crisis will exist between the
fundamental tone and the harmonics, to make pitch identity even more
difficult. Try this simple test, on a concert piano play the lowest
minor third C to A, then repeat the same test on a 'sawn off' piano.
The minor third interval is easy to hear on the concert instrument,
but nearly impossible to discern on the shorter 'sawn off' variety.

While the harmonic content variability allows our ears to discern
which particular instrument the tone is coming from, as some other
writers have mentioned, the decay and attack characteristics will
also vary according to the instrument in question. Furthermore,
inharmonicity also introduces an added dimension to the
characteristics we hear.

I also suspect that when sampled tones are recorded, the volume of
the harmonics is reproduced faithfully but not the inharmonicity. If
this is the case, it would readily explain why sampled piano sounds
do not sound exactly like pianos. Does anyone else have something to
add to this? If this is not correct regarding sampled tone I would
appreciate a subsequent post on the matter.

Best,
Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY