Fwd: school or home course

Fri, 02 Aug 2002 18:55:54 +0200

Hi Julie.

I think you are going to get a lot of different answers on
this one. But for my part I firmly believe that a good
school is the best way to go by far. The only problem is,
they are few and far between. And learning at a factory is a
thing of the past in the States. You might check out how far
you are away from one of the few schools around before you
make a decision.

That being said, many have gotten their start in the trade
either by correspondence courses or simply out of books
available from the library. The more "do it yourself"
approach you take to learning, the more work its going to be
to get there.

If you are a long ways away from a school, and have some
willing and experienced technicians nearby, be sure and draw
on their experience and advice as you go. Joining the PTG
and pinning down a few experienced hands for help is a good
thing to put into all this.

There are a few good correspondence courses, and video aids
out there, but in the end you just have to gain lots of
experience, and the more feedback you can get by folks who
already can the better.

just my take

Good Luck !

RicB