school or home course

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 18:03:06 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

"David Smith" <dsmith941@hotmail.com> wrote:
> 1. The Randy Potter course (great course, probably the best home study
> approach there is).  For me that is time and money well spent so far.  The
> only negatives seem to me to be first, the lack of rapid, blunt, and
> immediate feedback on my progress in skills...

I'll agree with that. Talk about not rapid... I sent in a tape for a
tuning exercise last December and still haven't gotten it back. That's
almost 8 months ago. I've called, I've written. The tape is there. He's
just behind. In my opinion, it's not just slow, it's downright
unprofessional.

I'd still recommend the course for the content. But if you choose the
Potter course you might consider asking if you can pay the "tuition" part
of the fee after he grades each exercise. Make him do the work before you
pay him. I wouldn't pay him up front for any service unless he gives you a
dealine in writing.

I found that the information I learned from the Potter course helped me
jump right in when I attended the PTG Convention, so it seems to be pretty
good, technical-wise.

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island - Nassau