school or home course

Sat, 03 Aug 2002 00:52:37 +0200

Charles Neuman wrote:

> "David Smith" <dsmith941@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > 1. The Randy Potter course (great course, probably the best home study
> > approach there is).  For me that is time and money well spent so far.  The
> > only negatives seem to me to be first, the lack of rapid, blunt, and
> > immediate feedback on my progress in skills...
>
> I'll agree with that. Talk about not rapid... I sent in a tape for a
> tuning exercise last December and still haven't gotten it back. That's
> almost 8 months ago. I've called, I've written. The tape is there. He's
> just behind. In my opinion, it's not just slow, it's downright
> unprofessional.

Of course this is the major big time type problem with the
correspondence course approach, tho I wonder how many have
experienced just as big a delay as Charles has with Randys
course. My brother got into the buisness some 35 years ago
by taking a course from the American School of Piano Tuning
out of Chicago. He said many times over he just couldnt see
how anyone without a really good ear to begin with, and
enough basic savy to grasp the concepts and put them to work
could manage without some help. As it was he had to get a
few pointers from a local in a little town in Montana. He
got pretty darned good in the end, tho I know now 100
percent for sure with his ear and his basic handiness in
working wood he could have gotten an awful lot further along
with a better start.

As I said in my first post. A school is the best choice,
factories in the states are not really an option, but if you
have to go with a correspondence course seek all the help
you can get from those who can. The PTG is a good place to
look for help.

RicB