New Stuart factory opens

Ron Overs ron@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 15:35:32 +1000

Dan,

>I'm delighted to hear the news of a new piano factory in Austrailia. The
>opening of factories in Europe Asia and now Austrailia testifies strongly for
>the health and vitality of the piano industry.

I hope you're right, but the new Stuart and Sons factory is not my
factory. Stuart is a totally separate operation from the Overs piano.
There is absolutely no exchange of information between the two
businesses. I mentioned the opening of the Stuart factory on the list
since it is local news here, and since the chamber music ensemble
which is performing for the official opening (this Monday) is also
performing on our piano no. 3 this coming Tuesday night in a separate
concert. Stuart and Sons has been the recipient of considerable
government assistance here, so it is all happening quite quickly for
this company, but they still have to sell their pianos yet. To date,
most of their instruments (8 out of the 10 concert pianos produced so
far) have gone to institutions with government or benefactor
assistance or both. The hard yards may come when they begin selling
at the ticket price.

>My personal interest in your piano is aimed at the quality of tone.

As is my own interest in my own piano. Thank you for sharing it with me.

>I'm
>hoping the Stuart has a Duplex Scale

I haven't been able to determine this from looking at his pianos. He
does employ individual blocks on the plate for the front duplex
lengths, but I am unable to tell if they are deliberately tuned or
deliberately untuned. He uses a hitch pin which is screwed into the
plate and height adjustable for the back scale (this is an idea he
got from me in a public bar discussion in 1980 - but I have decided
against using it anyhow).
http://www.stuartandsons.com/Introduction_Photo2.jpg
These are not tuned length. Notice that he employs very short back
scale lengths.

The new 220 cm Stuart piano is nearly ready for release (so my scouts
have informed me). Overhead outlines of the two Stuart grand pianos
can be found at;
http://www.stuartandsons.com/piano_outline_jpeg.jpg
(some beautiful html code here on behalf of the web master)

Outline drawings of the three Overs grand pianos being designed at
present can be found at;
http://www.overspianos.com.au/cases.html

>as you know the finest instruments in
>the world include this feature.

Some consider this to be so, but there remains considerable debate
regarding the merits of the tuned front duplex. Have a listen to the
following MP3 track taken from a recent CD recording of the Overs no.
3 ;

http://overspianos.com.au/blcoff.mp3

This piano has a detuned front duplex system - the typical treble
'rattle', which I find very disturbing, is not part of the tonal
palate of this piano sound. If you have an earlier windows operating
system which cannot play mp3 files, download a free copy of QuickTime
for Windows from;

http://www.apple.com.au/quicktime/download/

>If Stuart pianos needs any input in this
>area, oceans are no barrier. I would love to visit your part of the world if
>it would include a professional contribution.

You would need to speak to Wayne Stuart about this, but it would
appear that Mr Stuart does not normally seek advice from anybody.

>Again , Congratulations, and I look forward to hearing and seeing the new
>piano. By the way do you have a franchise agent in New YOrk City. This looks
>like an interesting opportunity.

I am currently building our 4th and 5th pianos (all are 7'4", 225 cm
grands). We really do not produce enough numbers per year to be able
to support an offshore dealer at this time. I have had a dealer
inquiry from Japan and we have an interested party in LA. However, I
have not spoken to anyone from New York at this time. In any event, I
would want to see the quality of instrument preparation for myself
before giving any dealer approval to represent our piano. I regard
the quality of service (including tuning and voicing standards) to be
every bit as important as the commitment of the dealer. Pianos from
no. 006 on will be produced in greater numbers. We expect to be
increasing to around twenty pianos per year within five years.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
Grand Piano Manufacturers