Musical Soundwaves

Sat, 3 Aug 2002 00:06:41 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <Kdivad@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 02, 2002 4:46 PM
Subject: Re: Musical Soundwaves

> > All of the above. It's still the attack. Or at least the chaotic wave
energy
> > created by the hammer impact against the strings. Keeping in mind that
most
> > of what we hear during the first few milliseconds of the sound envelope
is
> > still coming from the soundboard. So, the interface between the strings
and
> > the soundboard, etc., still controls the energy transfer and,
consequently,
> > most of what you hear. (There is a little bit of impact sound energy
coming
> > directly from the plate, strings, rim, etc.)
> >
> > Del
>
> Del and list , has anyone tried the experiment I mentioned earlier,
eliminating the attack and decay and compared?
> I can understand the attack side effect, what about the decay side of the
equation?  Any theories?

You can't eliminate decay from the piano wave envelope. It's one of the
clues Terry was asking about. If you have a piano-like sound without decay,
it's obviously not coming from a piano.

These experiments can only be conducted over periods of time brief enough to
make the fact that the piano sound is decaying difficult to discern.

If it weren't for the chaotic attack and the unique decay, piano sound would
be fairly easy to simulate.

Del