Stringing

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 09:24:20 -0400

In a message dated Sat, 3 Aug 2002 9:14:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:

> Carl & Dave,
> I never have that problem, because I put all the wire sizes on the plate
> with small transfer numbers, (including the 1/2 sizes with even smaller
> transfer numbers).
> The Golf Tee is a real good idea, though. Since my Son and Grandson are
> avid golfers, I now have a good use for all those golf tees I pick up out of
> my lawn, while mowing. <G> Oh, once the wire sizes of the scale is on the
> plate, I coat them with Varathane to help them stay there and not be rubbed
> off with normal cleaning, etc.
> Best Regards,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
>
> I'm never lost, because everyone is telling me where to go.
> <G>

Better yet, why not use rub-on transfer numbers onto the plate and mark the
scale.  All the office supply houses carry them. Reasonably priced ( $3-$4)
with enough numbers to do 5 or 6 pianos.
I don't know about you but I get a bit grumpy when restringing is done and
the scale is not marked on the plate. In my opinion, it is a courtesy we all
should do for the next person who has to work on the instrument. Not to
mention it reduces stringing errors.
Tom Servinsky, RPT

Tom and Joe, I do the same, though when I string I tend to go into a hypnotic state (coma?) and need a physical barrier as a reminder to change string sizes.  I may be slow but at least I'm not very good.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW