Burnishing Graphite

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 09:29:26 -0400

I decided to round the back edge of the jacks on a new set of wips prior to
installation.
After meticulously detailing the edge with an emery board (rough then fine)
I gave them two coats of Dag.
Then put a 1/8" drill bit in the Dremel Tool backwards so as to burnish
with the shank.

What a nice job it did, shined up the rep lever too. It got me to thinking
about how the graphite is burnished in production.
Anyone know? It might speed things up for next time.

I was also thinking that using the backside of the sanding disk would
burnish nicely for jacks which have been removed.

As far as easing the back edge of the jacks, is there an easier way than to
file/sand? Would the sanding disk (metal portion)
ease this edge as well or faster than hand working?

I plan to experiment with a larger diameter shank next time, something
along the lines of the arbor on the buffing wheel
after it has been cleaned and polished well.

In any case... I'd like to hear some expedient ways to ease the back edge
of the jack both installed in the wip and freestanding.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com