Bent Tuning Pins

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 06 Aug 2002 22:02:46 -0500

>So, I was just wondering if there might be something I'm doing wrong. I've
>never had any kind of stability problems, etc. but still, who knows.......
>Just thought you might have an idea of how this could happen.
>
>Avery

Possibly, but I doubt it. You'd have to be doing something pretty obviously
wrong. A lot of the pins I pull out of pianos are slightly bent too. I
don't know if they were already bent before being driven in, bent during
the installation process, or bent by three handed Neanderthal tuners
through the years. I don't see any way to tell after the fact. I mentioned
our local pin bender because his is such a dramatically obvious case, but I
seriously doubt pins are that easy to bend during tuning that the bender
would be unaware of the damage being done. Here's yet another golden
opportunity for some adventuresome soul to add to the growing body of myth
and speculation repellant  by clamping a verified straight tuning pin or
six in a vise, perhaps between slabs of genuine pinblock material for
authenticity, and finding out first hand what it takes to bend the
sucker(s) with a tuning hammer.

Ron N