Del Fandrich - Your comments please, anyone else that that matter...

Tue, 6 Aug 2002 23:04:14 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Lawson" <lawsonic@bdmail.co.za>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 06, 2002 10:19 AM
Subject: Del Fandrich - Your comments please, anyone else that that
matter...

> http://www.klavins-pianos.com/
>
> Brian

Well, what kind of comments are you looking for? It's an interesting
instrument.

Someone sent me a CD of this thing a year or so back--interesting sound but
difficult to tell much from just a recording. I expect you really have to be
there.

If you're after the longest practical bass string length this is probably
the easiest and most practical way to get it. It would take an extremely
long key to get a hammer to strike anywhere reasonable on a bass string of
this length on a grand. The builder is obviously impressed with the huge
soundboard size--I think it would be difficult to control. A smaller and
more appropriately shaped soundboard would be more efficient--but, then,
I've only heard a recording of the instrument, not the real thing. The main
structure is all placed behind the soundboard--looks neat from the front but
requires a huge amount of strength in the framework. I think if I were doing
an instrument of this size I'd at least play around with the idea of placing
some of the framing in front.

The height of the thing precludes its being used in all but large and tall
halls. Or halls with orchestra pits in which the lower portion could be
placed. Maybe we'll get back to the built-in instrument era, i.e., as per
the pipe organ.

Del