Bent Tuning Pins

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 07:33:13 -0400

Friends,

Every now and then I come to a tuning pin I would *like* to bend a little -- the
occasional pin in the midrange of a spinet or console that is too close to a
neighboring pin to get the tuning hammer on it solidly.  So far I have resisted
attempting to bend a pin, for fear I would damage the pinblock and cause another
problem.

Yes, I know about the thin-wall tips.  But I haven't bought one yet, after all
these years!  And it also seems to me that not having to change the tip every
time I tune the piano would be preferable.  Has anyone deliberately tried to
bend a pin in the instance I mention here?  How do you do it without making
another problem, or is it always inadvisable?

Regards, Clyde