OT: Question on Lesson Studios

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:09:35 -0700

The size of the air space has absolutely no effect on the sound. 6" wall 10"
wall, a wall as big as the room itself. The sound carries through the air
space the same. It's the number of air spaces created with a proper sound
deadening material as the divider. A 4" wall with 3, 1/2" air spaces will
deaden the sound 10 times more than a wall 2 feet thick. Soundboard is
called that because it deadens the sound, it doesn't amplify it. It is the
most cost effective and has been used for years. The biggest mistake in
installation is nailing the sheetrock directly to the board. Try killing the
sound of a plumbing drain. I've packed fiberglass around them, filled the
space solid with the foam stuff to no avail. Change the plastic to cast
iron, no difference. I've been in the construction trades for 30 years and
only a few times have I ever seen the top and bottom plates split. This is
because they are nailed solid and any sound transmission is through them and
not due to the outside surfaces of the wall acting as one unit. It does have
some effect but when the rest of the wall is built properly it is
negligible. I think that is the same argument Del and Ron use for not gluing
the bridge on the soundboard in the crowned position.
Keith OR.     Hey Dale, don't you want me to get that air compressor out of
your paint room and eliminate some of the clothes lines you have strung
around the shop?