Major polyester repair

Charles E Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 15:27:51 -0500

I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions for repairing a
Bosendorfer Imperial.

It seems someone got into the recital hall at Kansas State U. last
weekend and set the piano cover on fire maybe with a lit candle or
cigarette. Fortunately someone pre-empted the fire before it could do any
serious damage.

A fairly large area of the front lid (bass corner) and the bass arm of
the piano is now scorched. Some of the veneer is also burned and just
hanging from the piano. I'm just glad that the inside of the Bosendorfer
is unharmed.

I know that a lot of techs can do polyester repair on small dints and
dings, but this calls for refinishing a relatively large area of the
piano - up to two square feet. So I guess my question is: Does anyone
know of a refinisher in the midwest who can do polyester refinishing? No
matter what, it could be very expensive to fix this piano.

I'm also wondering if there is a quick and dirty way of repairing the
piano without using polyester. The KSU Music Dept. most certainly doesn't
have the kind of money it would take to fully restore the Bose to its
former glory.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Charles Faulk, RPT