liftrod hook replacement

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 18:30:35 -0400

Friends,

I tried a different (for me) method to replace a liftrod hook for an old
upright.  I found a nail of the correct diameter, cut off both ends and
made a nice 90 degree bend in it in the vise, cut it to the correct
length, stuck it through the liftrod hole until the bend was against the
liftrod, smacked the end a couple times with a hammer, then aligned the
hook correctly and drove it into its final position from the bottom.

The repair looked very professional, better than driving the straight
liftrod pin into the hole first and *then* trying to get the correct
bend.  The only misgivings I have about it is whether the hook will
loosen over time, since it wasn't fluted or anything, but the old beat
gets only light use.  Thoughts?

Clyde