Sciortino Insta-Coiler

G GRAVINA ggravina@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 21:05:25 -0400

Corte,

I use the Sciortino Insta-coiler often.  Joe Sciortino was a member of our
Chapter here in Suffolk.  He was a friend to all PTG members, but took
special pride in teaching beginning technicians.  He recently passed away,
and is missed here by many.  I happen to have the original prototype of the
Insta-coiler.  In fact, after many years of use, I've worn out the tuning
pin piece, and retired it for posterity.  This original tool had about half
the amount of metal below the string slot in the housing that fits over the
tuning pin.  Because the supply house version has more material below the
slot, the housing sometimes bottoms out on the plate and causes the coil to
wind up on  itself.  I ground a bit of material off the bottom of the tool,
and it works much better.  (Boy, a picture is worth...)

Anyway, hope this helps.

Jerry Gravina, RPT
Babylon, NY