OT: Question on Lesson Studios

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 23:48:59 -0500

>  I've been in the construction trades for 30 years and
>only a few times have I ever seen the top and bottom plates split. This is
>because they are nailed solid and any sound transmission is through them and
>not due to the outside surfaces of the wall acting as one unit. It does have
>some effect but when the rest of the wall is built properly it is
>negligible. I think that is the same argument Del and Ron use for not gluing
>the bridge on the soundboard in the crowned position.

I'm not sure where this connects. Splitting a wall with sheetrock attached
to every other stud from each side works by de-coupling the two sides of
the wall, so the movement from one side doesn't directly move the other.
Sound deadening panels do essentially the same thing. The movement of the
surface picking up sound vibrations is absorbed and dissipated within the
non-rigid interior of the panel instead of mechanically moving the opposite
surface along with it. If the perimeter of the wall is anchored in
something either massive or absorptive, instead of another elastic membrane
like the wall surface, it shouldn't be a big problem. You lost me on the
bridge, soundboard analogy. Where's the connection (as it were) there?

Trying to keep up.

Ron N