Bridge pin buzz

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Thu, 08 Aug 2002 07:06:55 -0400

You could route off the top of the bass bridge and make a new cap. A piece
of plywood can be fashioned to act as a platform for the router to
glide upon by cutting out the middle section for the bit to protrude
through. Remove enough bridge depth considering the thickness of your capping
material.  An easy way to determine this once some material has been
removed is to run a thread from the agraffe to a quarter resting on the plate.
This will establish a plane for adequate downbearing, calculations can be
made from there.

The pin holes would be determined be stretching a thread from the agraffe
hole to the hitch pin and marking this line on the bridge cap.
Establish a pin line, center punch the marks and drill.  I don't trust a
template made off the old holes, they might have been improperly
located in the first place and caused the problem.

This is a case where the store was penny wise and pound foolish. The piano
has a lowered value because of the bridge's condition.
not to mentiion the quality of pianos being displayed.