Schumann spinet

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 22:41:22 -0700

This spinet doesn't have a drop action. The problem I'm having is the =
whippens aren't dropping enough on a slow release to allow the jack to =
reset. To feel the lost motion, the key has to be pulled up and down. It =
stays where you leave it. The whippen flange pins are ok. I replaced a =
jack spring to see if that made a diff.  Not. The keys are eased.
There is only one lead in the front of the key and the action and the =
keys aren't heavy at all. I was thinking that with the capstan down =
lower in arc of the key there is a lot more movement front to back as =
the whip goes up and down and there is a good 3/8 sized  oval divot worn =
in the action felt. When the key drops, I'm thinking the capstan is =
hanging up on the front edge of the divot. Of course now that I'm home, =
I just thought I could tweak the bottom action brackets about a mm to =
the front and  that should  tell me if that is the problem. Any =
suggestions?
Keith R