Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 02:18:11 -0700

Dear list------

Ah, the tuning debates!!

"Endless are the arguments of mages....."
                              Ursula LeGuin

I tune for myself; to challenge myself.  I think my ears are as good as
any pair of ears in the world, and I have tuned thousands of pianos to
get to the point where my tuning----which is some form of mutated
ET----satisfies me a good deal of the time---maybe 80%----and satisfies
the many, many fantastic players and singers and producers I work for
99.9% of the time.

If the fourths all roll slowly, pretty much equally, the piano will sound
just great; it will be "automatically"
stretched to sound musical, resonant, and soaring----when recorded, it
will sound like the pianos on the great recordings of the '30's and
'40's----extremely sweet and musical.

The mechanics of a great tuning are dead simple; the massive challenge is
in having the skill, and patience, and commitment, to do it over and over
and give it your best shot every time.

It's a deep, deep craft.

Cheers, kids.........your ears are part of the greatest computer ever
built.

David Andersen
Malibu, CA