Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

Fri, 09 Aug 2002 14:45:07 +0200

A440A@AOL.COM wrote:

> Ric writes:
> > If indeed there exists a substantial number of people who can't
> > hear the difference, I as a piano tuner am willing and able to
> > satisfy their desires and tune for them a very good ET.
>
>  Hmm,  this brings up a question.  If these substantial numbers of people
> can't hear the difference between a well-temperament and ET, then, for this
> substantial number, the difference between a sloppy ET and a "very good" one
> is purely academic, no?

I would agree with that... of course with in reasonable
limits as to the definition of "sloppy".. :) And indeed my
own experience bears that out. 18 years of festival
tunings... not one complaint at all... and I mean we are
talking about ears like Jack Dejonett, Oscar Peterson, Keith
Jarret, Herbie Hancock, McCoy Tyner, Bill Evans, Don Pullan,
Chick Corea, Tanya Maria....and lots more, some less well
known, but great ears all.

Not one compliant UNTIL .... I took the Norwegian tuners
exam. THEN it was noticed that my temperament was not quite
equal, that thirds did not beat as progressively slower /
faster as they should, that I tuned the highest 5-6 notes
pretty darn high, and that my lowest bass was a bit
inconsistant.

But my octaves, unisons, and stability were good on that
test... and was probably typical for my tunnings through
those years.

So, in the context of this discussion, I wonder if those
heavyweight ears mentioned above would have been just as
happy had I tunned a perfect temperament every time... but
had "sloppy" octaves instead ??

> Regards,
> Ed Foote

Cheers !