Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

Fri, 09 Aug 2002 14:52:25 +0200

David Andersen wrote:

> Dear list------
>
> Ah, the tuning debates!!
>
> "Endless are the arguments of mages....."

To be sure... and we aren't even mages :)

> If the fourths all roll slowly, pretty much equally, the piano will sound
> just great; it will be "automatically"
> stretched to sound musical, resonant, and soaring----when recorded, it
> will sound like the pianos on the great recordings of the '30's and
> '40's----extremely sweet and musical.

David... just so I have this clear.... are you saying that
all the fourths over the whole range of the piano should
have a nearly identical beat rate ?, if not could you
explain this a in a bit more detail for me ?

Cheers !

RicB