stringing

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Fri, 09 Aug 2002 09:54:59 -0400

In a message dated Fri, 9 Aug 2002 8:16:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, Piannaman@AOL.COM writes:

> In a message dated 8/9/02 6:07:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time, HazenBannister@cs.com writes:
>

> I am about to replace all of the bass strings(42 of them) in a 100 year old Story and Clark upright.  The old ones were steel wound and quite tubby.  I've done many individual string repairs, but never a whole set of strings or bass strings.  In the interests of saving money and time, I was thinking of using the old tuning pins.  I suspect that this is probably not the greatest idea, but the pinblock seems remarkably tight.
>

> Dave,
> If you do it this way,you will want to back the pins out a half turn.Use a coil maker and put on 2 1/2 turns,and slip the new strings on the pins.It should be very easy, and have good sucess if the old pins are tight.
> Good stringing,
> Hazen Bannister
>

> Hazen,
>
> Thanks for the advice!  Should be educational,
> rewarding--and time consuming!  Looking forward to it, though!
>
> Dave

Dave, Hazen gives good advice.  The only concern I would take into consideration is if the piano is going to be in a vacation home.  If the piano is going to be left for long periods of time in an unheated and uncooled home it will be put through a great deal of wide humidity swings that might cause problems.  Besides the extra work (at the tops 1 hour) involved with new pins is not much more than restringing on the old pins.
Just my two cents worth>

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW