How Much Stretch ?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 11:55:58 EDT

Ricb writes:
>I find that the resulting tuning curve shows the highest
>notes up in the +40 to +45 cents (sometimes even higher)
>range.
>This seems reallly high to me, and I wonder if you all
>accept this degree of treble stretch, or you modify things.

  Greetings,
    For me, it depends on the usage,(and what I may have learned about the
customer).  Going to a pure 5ths, ala Coleman, by beginning to blend the
increasing stretch in the C4-C5 octave, creates near pure triple octaves by
the C6 area.  I have a couple of Jazz venues that like this much (in a WT!),
and a concerto  experience or two that went nicely.  40 cents wouldn't be
enough on a D's top end for this use.  These tunings sound brilliant or
"piercing" to my tastes, but there are people out there that buy'em.
    I have several voice teachers, in all kinds of temperaments, and none of
them like the piano stretched that much.  For them, I keep the fourths and
fifths and octaves progressing like a big temperament, and it always ends up
less stretched than the normal ETD that I have seen. (SAT III users can stick
a -.2 in DOB from F4 up and hear a pretty good idea of how much this is.
Aurally,  I think this would equate to a compromise between a 1:2 and 2:4
octave for the temperament).  It is "warmer" sound, they say.
    I am tuning them all different ways, they all pay me, and each of them
thinks theirs sounds the best!

    In the pre-ETD era,  I knew several tuners that had wildly different
approaches to the top octave or three, and they were both claimed as
"special" by their respective customers.  The only thing is, these guys never
varied their characteristic amounts of stretch. Everything they tuned, in all
venues, had their stamp on it.  I tuned a piano after a 20 year lapse and
found it to be about 30 cents flat, except the top four notes, which were
still 20 cents or so above where theyshould be.  I asked is Mr. === had tuned
it last, and she said "Yes, how did you know?".  It was plain as day,  I had
been following this tuner over a decade or so as he cut back on tuning work.
He never varied his top end and the other tuner who kept things real
compressed didint' either.  Their customers stayed with these guys for
decades, all the way to the end.  As I met more of them, I learned that many
of them had made their choices years ago on the advice of long gone music and
voice teachers in town.  Some liked it hot, others, not.
     One thing I have noticed about stretch is that most of us end up with
different results, and it is logical to suspect that this factor may help
shape our clientele.  If so, then it would behoove any of us become familiar
with the gamut of stretches that work for any customer.  That way, a tech can
tune for anybody, and collect customers from "both" sides.  The trick is to
find out what the customer is going to like best, but that is a different
post.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT