Thunk, wunk

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 21:04:44 -0700

Alan
          I agree with Jerry . I once serviced a Stwy M that had the top =
end of the bridge end binding against the plate giving the bi-chords a =
deader and a deader sound playing upwards towards note 26. I Inserted =
hacksaw blade between plate and bridge and set it free. No more thunk =
thunk I was surprised that it got past  past quality control and others =
for 20 years naaaaaaah it happens.

    I am replying because of your reference to "others". I had an =
interesting encounter the other day with a piano in which the customer =
said had a broken string. When I arrived, he said that he was breaking a =
string about once a month, I said; "That can't be right, that should =
never happen." ( His tooner was on vacation, and he couldn't wait for =
him to return, because he uses that note a lot.)
     When I got to the piano, I noticed that the hammers ( on a Steinway =
D, no less)  were pretty flat looking, with string grooves about 3/8th =
of an inch long. Well, the strings that kept on breaking where in the =
area of the upper capo bar. When I pulled the action out, (hadn't been =
cleaned since he got it, judging from the dust bunnies) there it was; a =
nice line where the hammers had been actually hitting the capo bar. No =
wonder he was breaking strings!  He was so relieved to find someone who =
could solve the problem, he tipped me 50 dollars! I filed his hammers, =
did some other work, tuned, and  cleaned his piano. Hey, maybe I should =
increase my rates!  I love being a hero! In truth, any Monkey with a =
couple of tools should have been able to find the trouble in less than =
two minutes. ALAS, Will we survive as a species? Sometimes I have my =
doubts. Hence my (much) earlier reference to Joe's having seen way too =
much nonsense in his lifetime. I suppose I'm doomed to the same fate.=20

    Hey! I'm not going to let it get me down, though!  (grin)