Suggestions to newbies

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 07:52:42 -0400

Stephen,

I have a suggestion.  Even though you're probably doing few pianos at this
point, figure out a good record system for the pianos you work on.  Then
you will never have to say, "I don't remember."  One of my current favorite
sayings is, "I only remember what I write down."  Not entirely true, of
course, but not entirely wrong, either.

In my antiquated recordkeeping method I record the client's name and
contact information, driving directions, piano's year, make, model, serial
number, plus service I provide, items we discussed, recommendations,
miscellaneous notes (unfriendly dog, charming kids, etc.).  I almost never
discard records.  Once in a while I'll be called about a piano I last tuned
many years ago, and I'm glad for any information I have.

Also, it is easy to overlook collecting sales taxes (if they apply) until
suddenly you wake up and realize you've been breaking the law.  You want to
figure that out before the government does.  Find out if any apply, and
comply now.

Wishing you the best,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA