a rose by any other name...

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 10:10:40 EDT

I have obtained an old vertical piano, no serial number, no name on
fallboard, plate or anywhere.  It's an interesting instrument, about 45"
high, 85 keys, with some decorative carving on the case, which appears to be
pine (!). My guess is that it predates 1910.  (I base this on the style of
the case and the rocker capstans.)   I plan to recondition the piano (new
keytops, new damper felts, refinish the case, and regulate) and re-sell it.

First of all, any guesses as to the manufacturer of this piano?  I know this
is a long shot, but maybe someone has come across a similar piano.  (Who
would make a case out of pine?)

Assuming the above question is unanswerable...

I'm afraid it will be difficult to sell a piano with no name.  ("What kind of
piano is it?" "Well, I don't really know.")  Would it be too disreputable, or
deceptive, to slap a decal on the fallboard?  (Kind of a homemade stencil
piano.)  Maybe I could call it a "Pineway"! (Spelled Peinway, of course.)
Seriously, I'm thinking more along the lines of "Jacob & Sons", or something
venerable like that.

What do you think?  Is this out of line?

Respectful of the collective moral attitude of the members of this list,

Tom Sivak