To Voice or Not to Voice? [was Re: Baldwin hammers]

Sat, 10 Aug 2002 19:40:53 -0700

Depends on the situation.  If I am installing new hammers and no opinion =
is expressed, I will bring them to the level I think is best.  I might =
ask if they have a preference for brighter, less bright, mellow, etc..  =
But the fundamental development of the hammer won't change.

If I walk in on a piano and percieve it as needing voicing I will always =
talk to them about it first (unless it's just a bit of through the =
string touch up).   Sometimes their first response will be that they =
like it as it is and I might leave it alone.   Other times they have =
said they like it as it is only because they are unware of how much =
better it can be. =20

The bottom line is that they decide.  They have to play it.  But you can =
open their ears to tonal possibilities.  There have been times when I =
have come to a piano and spent some time voicing it and they have =
commented afterward that they never knew it could sound like that and =
why didn't the last guy tell them about voicing.   I've also come to =
pianos that I thought were horrendously bright but after talking to the =
player it turned out they really did like it that way, so, of course, I =
left it.

Just communicate and it really shouldn't be a problem.

David Love

----- Original Message -----=20