voicing new hammers

Sun, 11 Aug 2002 09:10:55 -0700

I don't think I've ever heard a new hammer that couldn't be significantly
improved by voicing.  Though tastes in tone may seem to vary, I think there
are objective criteria in the performance of hammers.  The fundamental
objective criteria is resilience.  Though it is difficult to quantify, it
can clearly be heard.  New hammers of the Renner or Abel type tend to lack
it and so benefit from shoulder needling at the least.  So reliable is this
phase that it can be done prior to hammer installation.  The resilience can
be felt by squeezing the shoulder of the hammer and can be heard in the
openness of the tone.  Steinway hammers, on the other hand, lack resilience
because they are too soft and some additional firmness/density/stiffness
needs to be built into the felt to keep the hammer from mushing against the
strings and killing the tone.  So reliable is this phase that you could
almost prelacquer them prior to installation.  In fact, it makes filing them
a bit easier.

Realistically I can't see any reason for leaving a Renner/Abel type hammer
unresilient, or a Steinway type hammer too soft.  The result is that I
always perform these operations with good and perceivable results.

Attack is another thing.  There is plenty of room for differences in taste
along this spectrum and I always work with the customer to determine where
they like it.

I think that it's very easy to talk yourself into thinking that a new set of
hammers sounds fine when you first put them in.  There's a bit of psychology
at work I think.  All of us want to be able to plug the action in and walk
away.  I would love to have a set of hammers where the density and
resilience was controllable in manufacturing from note 1-88 so that I didn't
have to do anything but install them.  Unfortunately, it seems that the
asymmetric consistency needed to produce optimum tone in a hammer combined
with the inherent differences in even the highest quality felt (differences
are much greater in lesser quality felt) puts this beyond the scope of the
manufacturing process at present.   I think there are some manufacturers
that are doing a better job of felt selection and processing than others.
In spite of the fact that I do use Steinway hammers and like the sound that
they produce, I think Renner does a better job in terms of consistency,
especially with the Renner Blue.

As in anything, taste is learned, and sold.  If you only eat at MacDonalds,
In n Out Burger seems like haute cuisine de bouef.

David Love