Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 20:55:10 -0700

At 06:39 PM 8/12/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Watch Virgil tune. (Reno convention). He says the  fourths all beat the
>same. Also he tuned 4 octaves beatless. The piano sings. I didn't know
>enough to really understand Dr. Sanderson's explanation of his tuning. Did
>any one else take that class?
>Keith R

I saw Virgil, at a workshop. Extremely elegant stretching, and a great human
being. But were his fourths the same at the expense of clean unisons?
And (which is heresy to me, but we need to keep an open mind ...) might
that tradeoff be worth it for some people and some pianos?

There's a lot I didn't understand about Virgil's tuning, and I wasn't
convinced by some of his explanations, but it was a good experience
to watch him and listen to what he did.

Susan