voicing new hammers

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 23:26:01 -0700

>I don't believe in voicing new hammers for the sake of voicing.
>
>Yet it can be demonstrated that new hammers on a new piano respond
>greatly to voicing. (deep needling)  for example as seen in the
>all day Kawai class at the National convention.
>
>But not always so for new hammers on an old piano.
>
>Of course  you played the piano before.   Now play the piano with
>the new raw hammers.  Then make your decision.  The method of
>replacing alternate hammers should really show the differences. If
>the new hammers sound much better what are you voicing for?   If
>you think you can get a better sound by voicing those new hammers
>are you expecting pay for your time?   So if you do not get a
>better sound do you still ask to get paid?   Or if only a slightly
>better sound only slightly more money?
>
>From the voicing lessons I received in training and attending
>voicing classes at national conventions, (OK only two) the voicing
>of new hammers is still a subjective matter based on what sound
>the technician deems best for the instrument.  Some hammers "out
>of the box" sounded great and then after much needling still
>sounded great.  The "lesson" (to me at least) was why voice?  On
>the other hand for another  piano, some sounded good but sounded
>better after voicing.   The lesson there, "glad to know I can get
>a better sound from a new hammer by stabbing needles into it".
>Yes certain brands have a tendency to need "pre voicing"   Other
>brands and be expected to sound great right out of the box.  Which
>brands these are will be endorsed by "leading" technicians on this
>list.
>
>    If the hammer sounds as good as you expect or better why
>voice?  In the hopes of sound better?  (such hubris) You may want
>it to sound better but you might find out all the needling in the
>world only made it slightly better, or worse depending on two
>different ears.   I say leave it and evaluate the voicing after 6
>months.   (actually after so many hours of playing in a six month
>time. )
>
>---ricm

With all due respect---this is like Chinese to me, Ric.  With rare
exceptions----like 2 or 3 out of a hundred, let's say----ALL new hammers
need some voicing.  New hammers on an old piano MAY need less, depending
on the efficacy of the rest of the restoration.  I've been preparing new
top-of-the-line pianos for a couple years, after not doing any dealer
work for a long time, and every new piano I've worked on---including the
finest maufactured and hand-made instruments---need 45 minutes to an
hour of very "acupunctural," crown-and -high-shoulder voicing----some
need more; very few need less.
I guess I have enough hubris to think I have a pretty fair idea of how a
piano should sound in the space it occupies; I've dealt with high-end
players for quite a while, and while some people like a brighter attack
than others, nobody REALLY likes the sound of breaking glass, of
everything sounding pingy and metallic.  And if they do.....I leave the
hammers brighter than I like it......within reason. I'm old and cranky
enough to pick and choose a little among my clientele; and the guys at
the store I work a day a week at (really good players all) seem to enjoy
my tonal "vision...." There's a lot of good piano technicians in this
town; I'm easily replaceable if I don't please most ears, and I like that
challenge, because I'm just pleasing myself.  That's really all I capable

Best.......David Andersen