More Advice Sought for 100+ Year Old Bechstein

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:04:02 EDT

List,

The Man of La Mancha show now over (with guitar tuned to my specs) and the
Chamber music series also concluded, I received a phone call today from the
Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation director with the most laudatory comments I
could have ever imagine from the musicians, one of the principal sponsors
(with whom I had locked horns in the past over issues about what it *really*
takes to prepare a piano for a concert) and Foundation members themselves who
have known the sound of that piano for decades.

I spent a total of 12 hours doing alignment, fine regulation and voicing plus
3 concert tunings, all for which I was paid my standard rate (yippee!).  I
used the knowledge I had gained principally from the excellent teaching of
Bill Garlick RPT and Scott Jones RPT at Steinway factory training seminars.

The "sloppy" feel and limited dynamic range were due to too much aftertouch
and just plain soft hammers.  The action had been set up with a maximally
deep keydip of 7/16".  I went with that but filled in on it in final
regulation to get uniform aftertouch which I set at the most minimum amount
possible.  I set letoff as close as possible and gave it a very long blow
distance.  Minimum let off, extra long blow and minimum aftertouch provided
maximum power and dynamic range.

I juiced the hammers with my usual keytop and acetone, right on top of the
striking surface and nowhere else.  Yipes!!! you say?  Well, it always works
for me.  The difference is that I use *extremely* light concentrations and
avoid the left end of the striking surface which will strike the strings when
the soft pedal is used.  I did a total of 5 applications and very lightly
needled and scratched *between* the grooves for a maximum effect during soft
pedaling.

Obviously, the alignment and regulation must be very precise and even for
this to work and that is what takes so much time.  The juicing itself
couldn't have taken more than 15 minutes total.  These are techniques I
learned at the Steinway factory.

Now, it appears that the piano legs are weakening and the Fellowship wants me
to accept a commission to repair them.  I usually think of myself primarily
as a tuner who also does some occasional voicing and regulation work but my
rebuilding days ended over 15 years ago.  I would like to take this job,
however.  Any of the few area rebuilders would haughtily scoff at this job
saying, "I'm too busy" and/or "I only work on Steinways".  That's how I got
involved with these people to begin with, no one else would accept the
challenges.

They will pay me for my time and they have plenty of young men there who can
help me get the piano on its side so the legs can be worked on.  From what I
gather, there are steel rods in the hollows of these legs but there has been
some wear and tear which has made the rods loose.  I have heard of these rods
being fixed by pouring in epoxy.  Any thoughts on this?  It has been many
years since I worked with epoxy so I don't even know where to look for the
kind I might need. Any experienced advice would be much appreciated.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin