Unison Flatter than each Individual string?

Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:18:07 +0200

Joseph Garrett wrote:

> I have seen the phenomenon of two/three strings being "flatter" then each,
> individually. And, I accept Dr. Sanderson's explanation of the reason for
> the effect, more or less. However, I have also seen a reverse phenomenon of
> the unison being "sharper" then the individual strings! Would someone like
> to advance a theory on this????
> Best Regards,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
>
> I'm never lost, because everyone is telling me where to go. <G>

The explanation most surely lies in a not fully understood
set of mechanisms governing string coupling.

Read the 5 lectures through a few times,,, grin.. then a few
more times... and perhaps some of this will be easier to
think through.

Personally, I dont think that unisons always loose pitch
when coupled either.

RicB