Piano volume and MIDI velocity

Carol Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:44:34 -0400

Does anyone out there have any magic numbers they have discovered that
equate a MIDI velocity with a pleasant piano volume?  Now I know that a lot
of things go into creating volume on a piano, like hammer hardness, amount
of energy required to overcome friction, etc. but it seems to me that we all
intuitively know when a piano is too loud.  What would this translate to in
terms of decibels?

I am in search of a value (somewhere probably between 60 and 80) that does
not make the piano play too loudly.  Most of the software that controls the
volume on electronic player pianos sets this velocity at about 100 to
optimize dynamic range.  Minimum velocities don't work well under 20.  Just
about everyone who owns one of these things complains that their piano is
too loud.

In addition to an ideal velocity, does anyone have a suggestion for velocity
scaling as a percentage? - for piano music that is!  Thanks.  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Carol Beigel