Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 01:03:22 -0500

> Watch Virgil tune. (Reno convention). . I didn't know
> enough to really understand Dr. Sanderson's explanation of his
tuning.
> any one else take that class?
> Keith R

I was in Virgil's class in Reno.    I didn't stay for Dr.
Sanderson's class that followed.
    If you are asking  about Virgil's class, in that one he
demonstrated stretching octaves as proved by the 3rd-10th test.
or the 3rd-- 10th --17th test.  It was much quicker to hear the
10th or the 17 than listen for the slightly faster octave.   He
used 4ths to check 5ths.  He tuned by 5ths and 3rds.
I will have to check my notes but I remember he tuned A4--A3
first, then A4--D4, then F3--D4 6th.   Then he compared F3-A3 and
made adjustments.
I can dig up my notes if you are interested in more.  He tunes
with no temperament strip.  He tunes one string to the note
already tuned and tunes the second string.  Then he tests.  If he
makes corrections he raises or lowers the string the amount
according to the test and tunes the second string.  Then he
listens and if OK tunes the 3rd string to the unison.

A video of this would be invaluable to those learning or to those
learned comparing notes.  A few issues ago the Guild was saying
they need more money.   They could get a bit more out of me for
videos of SOME of the classes at the convention.  Unless Virgil
objects to being video  taped, this is an invaluable tuning
demonstration, and I would gladly buy it.

---ric