Unison Flatter than each Individual string?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 06:51:16 -0500

>I believe the right explanation should be approved by
>experiment.with out any experiment,here is my
>assumption for the phenomone:

Baoli,
I explored this some a year or so ago, and found an interesting
correlation. Very often, taping off the rear duplex of the section
eliminated the pitch drop when the second string was tuned in.

>if you shift to another partial(meaning you measure a
>different partial of the same note)the rare phomonene
>will probably disapear.Or if you lower the pitch a
>little bit the phomomee should disapera also.

Not all that rare, from my experiments. The pitch rise happened about as
often as unisons that didn't change pitch - at least in the piano I sampled
in the shop. I didn't think to try measurement of different partials.

Ron N