Voicing

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:07:58 -0400

In a message dated Tue, 13 Aug 2002 8:56:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

> The analogy about the engine had to do with being thorough in a task.  I thought it was appropriate.  Nobody ever said anything about not giving the customer what they wanted.  The discussion had to do with voicing procedures.  For example, I am preparing a set of Renner hammers for a Bechstein.  Even if I were unaware of whether the customer wanted the piano bright or mellow, it would not change my preparation of the foundation of the hammer.  I needle the shoulder to get resilience into the hammer.  If she wants it mellow I will attend to that by needling nearer the crown and/or shallow needling on the crown.  If she wants it bright I might sharpen the attack by filing the hammer slightly or ironing the felt.  Similarly, I am preparing a set of Steinway hammers for another customer.  I don't actually know how they will like it, bright or mellow.  But I will lacquer the hammer anyway because it needs to be firmed up underneath to give some firmness and clarity to the tone.  If they want it bright I will but a drop or two of solution on the strike point to sharpen the attack, if they want it mellow, I won't.
>
> The point is that certain hammers require certain basic preparations.  Good hammers can be brought either way from there.  I am not so arrogant as to impose on a customer that it's my way or the highway.  But I am also confident enough to know that there are basic procedures that should be done with any given hammer to ensure that whichever way you end up going, bright or mellow, the hammer will perform properly.
>
> David Love

With all of us Davids this can get confusing.

David you just mentioned something that greatly affects this thread.  You said, "The analogy about the engine had to do with being thorough in a task", if I remember correctly the tech installed a new set of hammers and then installed the action at the customers house.  He had no chance to prevoice before the customer sat down, played and decided it was just what she wanted.  He stated he would have prefered to voice.  Many of the responses implied he should have sold her a voicing, and that leaving the piano unvoiced was incorrect.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW