More dip in bass

baoli liu baoli_liu@yahoo.com
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:26:50 -0700 (PDT)

The let-off has a 1.5 mm(about one sixteenth of an
inch) difference between bass and treble,this is a
good compensation for the difference between key
ratios.

For most pianos,the manufacture recommend bigger
let-off on bass section(3mm is recommended by Germany
steinway) and smaller treble let-off(1.5mm recommend
by Germany Steinway).

The 1.5 mm difference could compensate the key ratio
by 0.15(assuming that the key dip is 10 mm).This SD-10
action has only a 0.02(0.54 minus 0.52) difference,I
don't think you have to change the key dip if you want
to keep the blowing distance the same and the let-off
tapered.

Of course,if you prefer to spent a little more time to
taper the dip,it could turns out to be "better",but I
don't think the "improvement" will be very noticeable.

Just my opinion.

Baoli Liu