Looking for advice - cracked plate

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 21:55:43 -0500

Oooh. Fall back 10 yards and punt. VERY unlikely that tuning had =
anything to do with it. Moving, maybe. Horrible, bad luck, murphy's-law =
timing? Probably. But if it was cracked and he missed it in the =
inspection a cross-country relocation and major career change might be =
best ... possibly entering the Witless Protection Program.

This is one of those moments, brothers and sisters, when we look on the =
sad misfortune of others and say, with full humility and charity in our =
hearts: "Thank Goodness it wasn't me!"=20

Alan Barnard
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: HazenBannister@cs.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 3:18 PM
  Subject: Looking for advice - cracked plate

  Hi,=20
   I have a friend,and fellow technician who's needing advice.He went =
and looked at a small Cable grand  (1905) for a customer looking to buy =
it.He told him it was worth the 800.00 asking price,and didn't see =
anything structurely wrong with it.The customer bought the instrument =
and my friend moved it.He pich raised it 1/4 step,tuned,and the next =
day,it had a cracked plate.I reassured him that he did nothing =
wrong,according to what he told me.What should he do?=20
  Thanks in advance,=20
  Hazen Bannister=20