Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:34:12 -0600

Hi Ed,

Consider 440 and 439. The bridge allows these two pitches to "draw"
together, and be "in phase", but we are shooting for 440 not 439.5, so the
notes are not "in tune". See the coupled motions of piano strings in the
archieves.

At 08:36 AM 8/15/02 EDT, you wrote:
>I wrotes:
>>>    With three strings struck, there is a tertiary transfer created which
>>is far more complex and contains more resultant modes of vibration, and the
>> three strings will never be totally in phase.
>
>Ron writes:
>>Again, in theory, but I'm not sure that is the case in the piano. Of course
>> they can be in phase and not be in acceptable  tune, but you already know
>>that.
>
>Um,  I am not sure I do know that.  If you have different rates of
vibration,
>how are they going to be in phase?
>If the differences were large enough to form multiples of one another, I
>could see it, but if you have a string going at 500 Hz and another at 501,
>they won't have a very easy time of getting together, will they?
>Ed

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/