Unison Flatter than each Individual string?

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 23:44:07 -0500

In the discussion about 3 strings in unison being flatter than a
single string of that unison............

> Richard Moody wrote:
> >
> > It may be that the machine is fooled.  Who first noticed this
> > "phenomenon" ?  a machine tuner or an aural tuner?
>
> It is my understanding that Virgil is given credit for
> noticing this first.
>
> RicB

Then it is easy.  How many aural tuners notice this and care to
demonstrate it to other tuners?    Unless this is can only be
shown on certain "high tension scales"  methinks it would have
been noticed 100 years ago.  ---ric

ps
There is also a fallacy of reason that has to be over come unless
this (flatter unison than single string) is proven true.   So it
is up to the top of the Tower of Piza.  Drop two shot balls, one
weighing four times the other.   See if they hit the ground at the
same time.   There is a fallacy of reason that suggests the
heavier one will hit the ground first but I forgot what it was.
Aristotle was fooled depending on who you read.   The challenge
goes something like, "What would reality be like if heavier
objects fall faster?   I forgot the answer(s).  Would that be  a
reality where a string that vibrates less and less in amplitude
also decreases in frequency?
    Ah it is coming back,,,,,a pendulum of the same length but
with different weights would swing faster, or slower according to
weight..... and the limit(s) are?    But in this system are there
no limits??   I     give up.  Theoretical physicists what say you?