Which partials? was E.T.D.

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:09:57 +0930

Jason,

Its easy with Tunelab to toggle switch the spectrum display to zoom out =
then use F3 and F4 to hone in on the loudest or preferred harmonic when =
on the actual note. I use this method at times when the display is not =
strong and modify the tunings partials as I go.  Save, never to repeat.

Regards

Tony Caught
Darwin
Australia
caute@optusnet.com.au

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jason Kanter=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 12:26 PM
  Subject: Which partials? was E.T.D.

  My working hypothesis about this is that the partials that are =
strongest are the ones that should be used. (After all, the strongest =
partials are those that will be heard most strongly by the listener. =
Duh!) TuneLab's inharmonicity measurements look at the full range of =
partials, but only store the single calculated "inharmonicity constant" =
for the string. So when I am preparing the tuning curve in TuneLab, I =
look at the mix of partial strengths (viewable immediately after an =
inharmonicity measurement) and note the strongest two or three partials. =
I do this several times for each section of strings -- monochords, bass =
bichords, tenor bichords, and then again for each set of trichords. In a =
Steinway I just tuned, the strongest partial for the monochords was the =
5th, and for the bichords it was the 4th. The 6th, which is the default =
bass partial in Tunelab, was a quite weak partial in all the bass, so I =
did not use it. I then change the partial selection to match the =
stringing p!
  attern and strongest partial in each section. Seems to produce good =
results.

  ---