May the 4ths be with you

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 02:05:29 -0700

Ric,
     You are right on, something which I have for quite some time been
myself aware of,  as to the actual ratio of  beating of equally tempered
major thirds necessarily  being the same as the ratio of the tempered
frequencies of the major thirds, that is 2^1/3 as you point out.  For
that matter, this applies,  similarly,  to all other  tempered
intervals.   I think it does behoove us professional "Piano Tuners" to,
at least, understand this correctly, something which, at the moment
appears to be, in general, somewhat misconstrued  particularly as
represented by postings to this list.
     While your lucid, articulate, post on this same subject eariler in
the year was lamentably  ignored by the general readership of this list,
it was very much appreciated by myself as it made a point which was very
much in need of being made, as does the one below, and was right on the
money, even though it evoked no response.  I hope such will not be the
case this time and this would, indeed, demonstrate the great utility of
this list if such a matter could be clarified and the general perception
and reference to this phenomenon be made more accurate.
     I think the 5/4 beat rate comparison has, indeed,  been a persisent
and erroneous illusion, even if very useful, which it is,  and given the
limits of human perception, it may not be possible to accurately
determine a ratio that is only 8/10s of a percent faster, if my
calculation is correct,  than the 5/4 ratio commonly referred to.  To be
correct we all should use the phrase "very slightly faster than a 5/4
ratio" when comparing contiguous major thirds.
Thanks and regards, Robin Hufford