May the 4ths be with you

Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:53:00 +0200

Hi RicM

I got the feeling that this was more or less what Dr Sanderson was
saying.... tho he didnt come right out and say so directly about
thirds. He did say right out that inharmonicity changes the
theoretical picture relative to 5ths and 4ths... which should also
have their contiguous relationships.  So I imagine he would agree
real quickly with what you point out below.

This goes back to what I tried to say to David Andersen about the
whole definition of ET being really quite impossible to implement on
the piano. Inharmonicity precludes that, and we are left with an ET
adjusted for inharmonicity which essentially breaks some of the rules
for what an ET is.

Cheers

RicB