May the 4ths be with you

Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:03:18 +0200

David Andersen wrote:

> >"Two contiguous musical intervals are intervals that touch
> >each other, in other words, share the note in the middle.
> >Tests that use contiguous intervals are easy to learn and
> >use, and tell the tuner explicitly which notes are at fault
> >and what to do to correct them.......

> Yowee zowee, Ric.......that is SO cool: we're both right.
> I appreciate your effort on this, and your passion about tuning......
> David A

Thanks in return Dave... you through me a loop with that steady 4ths
thing... just never thought about it and took it for granted that of
course they should get progressively faster. And maybe they do to some
small degree on some pianos. I suppose I shoulda thought about this given
that I already have run into that 5ths can go from narrow to wide as you
get up there in the treble.

Rick Baldersins book "On Pitch!" has this neat explanation of what
happens to differing octave types if you decide to hold one type at a
constant beat rate.  I want to also find out  what happens to differing
intervals and their types when any particular interval type is held
constant.  I suppose we really should know all this stuff in and out when
it comes down to it. Like this 12ths tuning,,,,, I should already know
exactly how the beat rates of all the basic intervals and their types
develope up and down the scale.... but noooooo...grin.. I gotta scratch
my head and get headaches and sit and try and get Excel to cooperate and
the like.

Ah well... a little bit more every day. Thanks again for jarring me
around Dave.

RicB